Automotive information shows up from time to time on game shows. Now Bay Diagnostics would like to put you to the test and get you on the “hot seat”. Here are 8 fun automotive repair true or false statements:
True or False
- Using a heavier grade of oil in cold weather yields better engine protection.
- All cars, regardless of newer or older models, must change engine oil every 3000 miles.
- Because of fuel additives and the elimination of lead from gasoline, you no longer have to get spark plugs replaced.
- When you turn the key, and you hear a click, that’s how you know the battery needs recharging or replacing.
- Automobile radiators are heat exchangers to keep the engine cool by circulating an engine coolant through the engine block.
- Tire pressure decreases by one pound for every 10 degrees drop in temperature.
- When the Check Engine Light comes on your car dash, it means the engine is too old and needs to be replaced.
- By replacing your car’s brake pads every 15,000 miles, your car’s braking system will run perfectly forever.
- False. It would be best if you always used the manufacturer’s recommended grade of oil.
- False. The number of miles you can go in between each oil change ultimately depends on the type of oil you put in your car. It also is predetermined by your manufacturer. However, most newer cars use synthetic oil with longer intervals that can go upwards of 10k miles before needing another change.
- False. Spark plugs last longer than before, but your car requires periodic replacement for maximum fuel efficiency and good starts.
- False. The clicking can mean that you have corrosion on your battery terminals.
- True. Radiators have a vital job, so please do not put it off if it needs repair.
- True. Your tire pressure will fluctuate depending on the season, which is why you should check it monthly. Underinflation, by as little as 6 psi., can lower gas mileage by 3 percent.
- False. A check engine light can come on for various reasons, including old spark plugs or even a loose gas cap.
- False. Everyone’s brake pads will wear out at different times, depending on usage. It may only be an approximation, but keep your ears and eyes peeled for signs of brake pad wear.
At Bay Diagnostics, we can assist you with all your auto maintenance and repair needs.
Owner – Bay Diagnostic
Serving Brooklyn Since 1985
For over 35 years, Bay Diagnostic has been a Brooklyn staple helping you get back on the road faster than the dealer can. A full-service automotive repair shop in Brooklyn that specializes in scheduled service, preventive maintenance and concierge service. At Bay Diagnostic, you will come to expect what the automotive repair experience should be, fast, easy and reliable. A one stop shop for your vehicle needs.
We proudly service Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Mini, Porsche, Smart Car, and Volkswagen vehicles.